How can we improve Oasys Structural software in a BIG way?

Better Staged analysis including locked in stresses and time dependent effects

Improve the analysis stages so that the software can:
- Lock in stresses and carry these forward to stages (similar to Midas)
- Allow loads to be applied at a construction stage that do not then lock in / affect the time dependent effects (eg wind on a construction stage)
- Allow simple plotting / output of results at each stage
- Take account of time dependent effects in staging (creep, shrinkage, etc)

101 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris Jackson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    open for voting  ·  Chris Kaethner responded  · 

I’ve merged this idea (and votes) with the previous ‘locked in stresses’ item.

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kaldoon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with that, it will be quite useful for bridge design and Tall building.

• Thomas Li - Structural software team commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea and this can be a very good new feature in GSA. Current 'Analysis stage' facility in GSA can be used to simulate staged analysis, but cautions need to be carefully taken when defining load cases and combination cases for each of the stages. In addition, using 'Analysis Stage' facility to simulate staged analysis cannot deal with nonlinear behaviour and the removal of elements. To overcome these limitations, I think this true staged analysis will be very useful.

• Andrew Mole commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have run out of votes... perhaps I need to review the other items I have voted for...

I think that creep and shrinkage would definitely be valuable analysis tools, both for bridge analysis and for tall buildings..

Being able to feed results from one analysis stage into another was something that I thought was mostly already covered as part of staged construction.What kind of analysis is not currently covered?

Feedback and Knowledge Base