How can we improve Oasys Structural software in a BIG way?

GSA graphics interface upgrade

GSA graphics interface upgrade
1) Improve drawing in 3D
2) improve sculpt capability:
- snapping, trim/extend features
- AutoCAD style drawing ability
- move elements from node to node by picking these
3) overcome mismatch of node display and node hot-spot
4) improve visibility of annotation (e.g. draw in front of lines and fill)

#graphics

132 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Chris Kaethner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Darren Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Chris.

> Thank you. I've used GSA for years and not realised it can do this. Is it possible to change colour per loadcase so that I can see which is which ?
        - that happens already: the cases edit field is a list, so you type "L1 to L* step 2" or whatever.

> It doesn't seem to remember that setting.
        - Use the 'Save Default View Settings' to save your current settings as default.

> It's not what I mean. Polylines can only join nodes. I'd like to draw a polyline selection in a similar manner as a rectangular one - say a single left-click to define the corners, a double-click to close.
        - You can use the polyline selection for this purpose.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've voted for this for the improvements to the graphics and general interface, but I actually don't think you should invest too much time in improving the sculpting tools. I create & modify all of the geometry for GSA models in rhino, so I have all the sculpting tools I need. I'd rather see the investment in interoperability tools between GSA and existing CAD packages, so we can have access to the best features of both.

• AdminChris Kaethner (Structural Team, Oasys) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Darren:

> Ability to plot more than one load case (useful for when comparing loads);
        - that happens already: the cases edit field is a list, so you type "L1 to L* step 2" or whatever.
        > Graphics plots remember the last one's settings (I waste so much time resetting 1D element results to not plot 'interesting' points to speed up graphics display);
        - Use the 'Save Default View Settings' to save your current settings as default.
        > Storing of combination results so it does not have to regenerate every time the model is scaled (which I inevitably have to do because the default draw scale is inappropriate for readable annotation);
        - This is part of the 'GSA results management' item
        > A legend panel which is actually displayed at an appropriate default position rather than clipped off the screen;
        - noted
        > A top border line on plotted results - to save me having to draw it in by hand;
        - We will look into that.
        > The use of a polygon select shape as well as rectangular.
        - You can use the polyline selection for this purpose.

• Darren Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ability to plot more than one load case (useful for when comparing loads);
        Graphics plots remember the last one's settings (I waste so much time resetting 1D element results to not plot 'interesting' points to speed up graphics display);
        Storing of combination results so it does not have to regenerate every time the model is scaled (which I inevitably have to do because the default draw scale is inappropriate for readable annotation);
        A legend panel which is actually displayed at an appropriate default position rather than clipped off the screen;
        A top border line on plotted results - to save me having to draw it in by hand;
        The use of a polygon select shape as well as rectangular.

• AdminChris Kaethner (Structural Team, Oasys) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Regarding 'annotation of enveloped results' suggestion: I'm wondering whether it would be useful to have an option when annotating envelope diagrams on beams to annotate only the larger positive and larger (magnitude) negative values, and omit annotation for +ve min values and -ve max values. I think this would declutter the annotation significantly but still annotate the values you're interested in. Thoughts?

• Natalie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Proper support for multiple screens! Preferably floating windows like in Rhino.

On displaying tension and compression. Autodesk robot has a feature where on diagrams positive and negative forces can be assigned different colours. This was a really quick way of checking the the model is behaving like it should.

I've found a very difficult and convoluted way of doing it in GSA but I really miss having a simple button.

For the annotation of enveloped results on Graphic View diagrams, it would be useful if the vertical space between the rows scaled with the text. I like to have the text quite big and have real trouble with the text overlapping and making it illegible.

I don't want to just display min/max/abs/signed abs because I generally want to see the maximum tension and compression, so I'm interested in both sign and magnitude.

Autodesk robot has a feature where labels can be moved around as text boxes to make the display/print outs clearer. It was very handy to have!

• Catherine Rankine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2) AutoCAD style drawing ability

+including orthogonal drawing to snap lines to current axes, e.g. by holding down shift while drawing lines or polylines (when not conflicting with other snaps)

Muzzammil,
        "5) - show bounding box when zooming/orbiting view instead of immediately refreshing model view" - This already happens for orbiting when you are displaying more elements than is specified in the 'Tools | Preferences | Graphics | Limit before ghost image drawn when dragging' option. This could be extended to include zooming.
        "6)" - Much of this is covered by the 'GSA object builder' idea. You may wish to comment on that idea.

• Muzzammil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

5) Speed up rendering of view for large models.
        - do not generate view of elements that are not visible
        - show bounding box when zooming/orbiting view instead of immediately refreshing model view
        - show progress if drawing the view takes longer than 1 second (also add cancel button)

6) Provide one single source of element data for viewing and editing: Replace the properties text area with an EDITABLE properties table for everything that can be selected (nodes, elements, members). e.g. when selecting an element, all these options should included in the table and be directly modifiable:
        - properties from elements table row
        - properties from element wizard (those not included in element table row)
        - Double click on element: all properties in each dialogue screen
        - Right click >> selection properties
        - Right click >> Element properties
        - Right click >> Edit >> Element/Property/Material
        - Modify selection button (dialogue properties and buttons within that)

Feedback and Knowledge Base