GSA RC slab design interface
1) Design rationalisation:
* Introduce reinforcement strips.
* Provide convenient way of specifying reinforcement directions in a strip.
* Offer strip templates.
* Offer option to automatically rationalise reinforcement within strips.
2) Offer code based deflection checks.
3) Offer punching shear checks.
4) Allow reinforcement direction to be wrt user axis
5) Move to Design Layer
6) Option to average reinforcement across defined width
Implemented slab design for GSA 10.1
Please have a look at SCIA which is starting to become popular in Bristol. It has a lot of the functionality described above.
Nick Jones commented
I have avoided using this module for many of the reasons that would be addressed by your proposed list. This would make the module much more useful but I also see the point re. the other packages out there.
Design strips would be a really useful feature. It seems that a lot of this idea could be broken down into a number of smaller ideas to allow the RC design to be improved incrementally. It would be good to review the merits of all the other slab design programs out there to make sure that whatever is implemented in GSA ends up being as good as the GSA competitors. Otherwise our investment will be pointless as SAFE, RAM Concept and all the other slab design software will still be used in preference to GSA.
Andrew Mole commented
This would definitely be good. Please could you also make it work with wall elements and with Response Spectrum results? This might require the results to be stored as individual modes (or at least the significant modes) and then combine them at each location as necessary.